Back in December (I had to look it up), we decided to switch Magnolia’s codebase to Git. As far as I can recall, there were mostly 2 factors that drove our decision:
- popularity. That might seem shallow, but when thinking about ways to attract contribution and participation, it really makes sense. If a tool makes it easier to contribute, for newcomers and seasoned Magnolians alike, then we should go for that tool. Git is that tool, and GitHub’s success quite likely largely contributed to the fact that many developers are now familiar with the concept of a “pull request”.
- branching. Veterans (gosh I sound old) in the core team have been scarred by, and scared of, branches in Subversion for quite a while now. We hardly ever branched for anything else than maintaining older releases, and that made “innovation” difficult, for a ton of reasons that I suppose are fairly obvious.
With that in mind, we started thinking about when and how to migrate. Continue reading